Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Tuesday Dinner: Salmon cake

Tonight, I made salmon cake with mashed potatoes and roasted red peppers. Salmon cake didn't turn out too well because it kind of fell apart when I grilled it. I think adding one egg white would help it hold it together, so I'm adding that on the recipe.

Salmon cake (for 4 people)
Pink salmon (14.75 oz can) - I like the bones and skin so I left them in.
Onion (1/4 of medium)
Panko bread crumbs (1/4 cup) - Panko breadcrumbs are coarsely ground breadcrumbs used in Japanese food as coating for fried foods. I just toasted ends of a bread loaf lightly, which I usually don't eat, and then processed them in the food processor until they were coarsely ground.
Salt (1/4 tsp)
Pepper
Egg white (1 large)
Olive oil (1/2 Tbsp)

1. Dice the onion pretty finely. I just used my food processor to do this.
2. Take salmon out of the can and drain out the oil/water in the can. Mash the salmon little bit.
3. Add all the ingredients together.
4. Form 4 patties.
5. Heat oil in the pan on medium high heat. Grill salmon patties on the pan.
6. When one side is gold brown, flip the patties and turn the heat down to medium.
7. Put a lid on and cook for about 5 minutes, being careful not to burn them.
8. Serve!

I hope that the addition of egg white will hold the patties together. I will definitely try this recipe again since I love canned salmon... As a kid, I used to eat salmon out a can as snack;)

I served the salmon cakes with roasted red peppers and mush potatoes. I wonder what's the best way to make roasted pepper is because I don't have gas stove. If you have gas stove, you just put the pepper on the stove until the peppers are completely black. With the electric stove, because there is no flame, peppers don't get grilled evenly. Last time, I put peppers on a cookie sheet in the oven and broiled them under high heat. It worked well, but it left black pepper marks on my cookie sheet... Well, anyway, once you get peppers nice and black, put them in a bowl and cover it for little bit. Use paper towel to peel away the skin. I just drizzled some olive oil oil over them after cutting them into pieces then put salt and pepper on them.


Technorati Tags:

No comments: