Sunday, March 4, 2007

Sunday morning at the farmer's market

A local farmer's market is the best place to be on a Sunday morning. Getting fresh food is of course a major motivator to go there, but that's not the only reason. I like it because I can get a sense of what's in season. What each vendor has changes a lot depending on what's in season, which is not always convenient because sometimes you don't find what you're looking for. But when you find something you didn't really think of or expect, that can give you inspiration for a new dish.



They also have a lot of Asian vegetables, which I like. I often find vegetables that look unfamiliar, and it's fun to try them. It's like discovering a new world.





Fish is also fresh. I usually get whole fish and cut it up at home. I have to go there pretty early though because otherwise all the good fish would be gone.



Locally-grown mushrooms are expensive, but they usually have "ugly" ones that they can't sell at a regular price at a cheaper price, so I just get those.

No comments: