Saturday, March 10, 2007

Friday Dinner: Yes! Friday!

Tonight, I went out to a Japanese restaurant called Nami Nami in Mountain View, CA. I know these are really bad photos, but bear with me... We were actually thinking about going to this new restaurant where the food is fusion of Chinese and Indian foods. Sounds really interesting, isn't it? But it was way too crowded.

Anyway, Nami Nami serves Kyoto style Japanese food, which means... well, generally, food from Kyoto is less salty than food from Eastern Japan. There are also vegetables and fish that are found/used only in Kyoto food. At Nami Nami, in terms of taste, I didn't feel like it was particularly Kyotoish, and I didn't see very many ingredients are very typical of Kyoto food.

We ordered several dishes, including duck with mango mustard sauce (front in the photo above), fresh oysters (upper left in the photo above), and nikujaga - cooked potatoes and meat (upper right in the photo above). They were pretty good. I ended my meal with ochaduke (photo below), which is like rice in some broth with some salty stuff (usually fish) on top. They serve picked vegetables on the side. When Japanese go to this type of tappa style Japanese restaurant where they enjoy drinking and eating at the same time, they always order some type of carbohydrate at the end, such as rice or some Japanese noodles. This ochaduke was OK. I didn't feel like the broth was very flavorful.

Overall, Nami Nami was pretty good but pretty pricy. I'm not sure if I'll go back there since there are many other places like that around here.

No comments: