Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Tuesday Dinner: Simple sausage and tomato pasta



I come home pretty late on Tuesday nights, so I made this pasta sauce over the weekend and kept it in the fridge. If you find really good sausage, this is a really nice way to enjoy that sausage flavor. I found a wonderful German butcher near my home that sells all sorts of sausages and smoked meats. I went there to sharpen my knife but couldn't resist getting one of their sausages...

Simple sausage and tomato sauce (for 4 people):
Good sausages (enough for 4 people)
Canned whole tomatoes (28 oz can)
Onion (1 medium, diced)
Bay leaf (1)
Olive oil (1 Tbsp)
Salt
Pepper

1. Heat a dutch oven with olive oil over medium-high heat. Grill sausages until both sides are nice and brown. Take the sausages out.
2. Turn the heat down to medium-low then add diced onion. Add a pinch of salt and saute until onion is really tender.
3. Add back the sausages then add tomatoes (crush them as you put them in), bay leaf, 2 tsp of salt, and a pinch of pepper. Simmer for 20-30 minutes.

Cook your favorite pasta and put the sauce over pasta.

I made the sauce really simple, but you can add garlic, chili peppers, Parmesan cheese, etc. to make it more interesting.


Technorati Tags:

No comments: