Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Tuesday Dinner: Tuna tomato sauce pasta and salad



I know tuna in pasta sounds a little weird, but it's pretty good and really easy to make.





Tuna tomato sauce pasta:
Canned solid tuna (2) - I like to use tuna in water. It doesn't add any excess oil into the sauce.
Canned tomatoes (1 big can) - I like to use peeled whole tomatoes because they have richer taste, but you can use diced tomatoes too (but no seasoning should be in the can).
Onion (1/2)
Garlic (3 cloves)
Chili peppers (a pinch)
Your favorite pasta
Salt
Pepper

1. Dice the onion. I used my food processor, and it was really fast. I also found already-diced onions at Trader Joe's today. You could use that.
2. Boil a pot full of water.
3. Chop up garlic. Sautee diced onion, garlic, and a pinch of chili peppers on medium heat in a deep pan with olive oil until onion is translucent. Be careful with chili peppers. They can add a lot of heat to this sauce.
4. Add the whole tomato can. I squeeze whole tomatoes as I put them into the pan. It can get messy though so wear an apron if you are wearing your favorite shirt!
5. Add two cans of tuna into the pan without water/oil.
6. Simmer on low heat until sauce is not soupy anymore. Add salt and pepper to give it flavor.
7. Throw in salt into the boiling water and cook pasta.
8. Put the sauce over pasta.

This recipe makes a lot of sauce. It's probably enough for 4 people or 3 big eaters. I just save the leftover sauce by freezing it. I had simple salad with olives, raisins, and vinaigrette dressing with the pasta.


Technorati Tags:

No comments: