Thursday, April 5, 2007

Wednesday: Clam chowder



Last week, I had clam chowder at this soup place chain, and it was OK but it tasted too "creamy" (like whipping cream, I mean) to me and there were only few clams. So, I thought, if I make it at home, I can make it a lot chunkier and tastier. My clam chowder tasted great, but it didn't thicken quite like the way I hoped it would. I think I needed to add more flour, so if you're trying this recipe, you should add maybe 2-3 Tablespoons more flour. The taste was good though!

Clam chowder (for 3-4 people):
Canned clams (6.5 oz)
Fish stock + clam juice (2 cups) - I combined the juice that the clams were in with the fish stock I had
2% milk (2 cups)
Onion (1/2 medium)
Celery (2 stalks)
Yukan gold potatoes (2 medium)
Garlic (2 cloves)
Flour (2 Tbsp)
Olive oil (1 Tbsp)
Salt (2 tsp)
Pepper

1. Dice the onion and celery stalks. Peel and dice the potatoes. I wanted the soup to be chunky, but you can cut the vegetables small. Peel and finely dice the garlic.
2. Heat olive oil in a pot/dutch oven and saute onion and celery with a pinch of salt over medium heat until tender. Add garlic and keep sauteeing for 1 minute. Add diced potatoes and saute for 1 minute.
3. Add flour and mix really well until there is no lump and everything is well incorporated.
4. Add fish stock + clam juice and milk. Sprinkle in 2 tsp of salt and a pinch of pepper. Simmer until the soup is thickened to desired consistency.

Don't forget crackers!


Technorati Tags:

No comments: