Saturday, April 14, 2007

Thursday Dinner: Non-fried "fried" fish



Tonight, I made non-fried "fried" fish salad. It's a nice alternative to frying because frying takes a lot of oil, which means more cleaning hassle and calories.

Non-fried "fried" fish (for 2 people):
Fish fillet (2 large) - I used flounder that I had in my freezer, but you can use salmon, cod, sablefish, or really any fish you like.
Bread crumbs (about 1 cup) - I used panko (Japanese bread crumbs), but regular bread crumbs may be a better choice for this particular recipe, since the crust is really crunchy.
Flour (as needed)
Egg (1)
Cooking spray
Salt
Pepper

Preheat the oven at 350 degrees.
1. Cut fish fillet into 1 inch pieces. Pat dry and salt and pepper both sides.
2. Put cooking spray on a pan and toast bread crumbs on medium-high heat until they're golden brown. This process is very important.
3. Coat fish pieces with flour and then beaten egg.
4. Put toasted bread crumbs on the fish pieces.
5. Put the fish pieces on a cookie sheet or baking sheet, making sure that the pieces are not on top of each other. Bake for 5-10 minutes depending on the thickness of your fish fillet until they start to produce nice smell.

I put these "fried" fish on Boston lettuce bed with avocado and tomatoes. For dressing, I used balsamic vinegar mixed an equal part of olive oil and a touch of honey. Balsamic vinegar goes really well with the fish. I also served couscous on the side.


Technorati Tags:

No comments: