Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Tuesday Dinner: Mushroom and bean pot pie

Few weeks ago, we were taking a walk, and I saw this fast food restaurant that specializes in pot pies. Since then, I had been determined to make a pot pie at home, and so I did tonight. I was originally planning to make a chicken pot pie, but I had roast chicken on Sunday and will be having another chicken dish this week, so I decided to go with beans.

Mushroom and bean pot pie (for 2 people):
Pie crust (one sheet) - I made it myself, but I don't see why you can't use a frozen one.
Mushrooms (2-1/2 cups sliced) - I used crimini mushrooms which are baby portabella mushrooms. You can use button mushrooms too.
Beans (2 cups cooked) - I used lima beans, but you can use any kind of your favorite beans.
Onion (2 cups sliced - about 1 medium size)
Milk (2 cups) - I used 2%.
Margarine or butter (4 Tbsp) - I used margarine, and it worked just fine.
Flour (2 Tbsp)
Salt
Pepper

1. Cook beans until they are tender if you are using dry beans. Slice the onion and mushrooms.
2. Preheat oven at 350 degrees. Melt 2 Tbsp of margarine or butter in a pot on medium high heat. Saute onion slice until they're tender.
3. Add mushrooms and incorporate well. Take the mixture out. The vegetables don't need to be cooked completely at this point.
4. Turn the heat down to low and add 2 Tbsp of margarine or butter and flour. Keep stirring until there is no lump and the mixture is very smooth.
5. Add the milk in and turn the heat up to medium. Wait until it starts to thicken little bit and stir well. It might take some time, but it will thicken so just be patient...
6. Put mushrooms and onion mixture into the pot again, and add cooked beans too. Stir well, and add salt and pepper for desired taste.
7. Roll out and cut the pie sheet into circles that are little bigger than the oven-safe bowls you are using.
8. Fill the bowls with filling about 80% full. Cover the bowls with pie sheet and press the edge.
9. Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes.

I served it with salad. I know it's not the most healthy food you can have, but a big bowl of pot pie won't hurt once in a while, right? With the filling, you can really be creative. I'm thinking about making seafood pot pie next time. Although making pie dough sounds like a lot of work, it's really easy if you have a food processor. I just made it on Sunday and let it sit in the fridge until today.


Technorati Tags:

No comments: