Monday, February 19, 2007

Yoshida Brothers concert

Last night, my boyfriend and I went to Yoshida Brothers' concert at a jazz house/sushi restaurant called Yoshi's in Oakland, CA. Yoshida Brothers are brothers from Japan who play the shamisen (traditional Japanese guitar) but with like a modern twist. The concert was really good. For some pieces, they had a piano guy and drum guy. I don't know much about the shamisen, but I think they were really able to tell stories with their shamisen. They had two pieces called, Sun-set and Sun-rise, and I could really picture the images of sun-set and sun-rise in my mind, listening to their music.

Anyway, before the concert, we had dinner at Yoshi's. We were seated at the sushi bar because it was completely full, but I really wasn't impressed with the sushi chefs. I understand that they had a particularly busy night, but they seemed so caught up in their work and it wasn't a "sushi bar" atmosphere at all. The chef who was in front of us pointed his finger at us several times to tell other chefs to bring food to us, which I thought was extremely rude. I mean, what's the point of having this bar setting if he's going to completely ignore us and pretend like we are not there? Well, food, I thought was not super good, but good though. We had several orders of sushi and kobe beef salad. Overall, I don't think I would go back there if not for a concert.

No comments: